01 May 2010

loss.

Less than a week ago, there was a tragedy that took that lives of three young men. I will not go into detail other than to say it was a very unexpected accident and that it made the national news. Of course, I thought it was a very sad story. But it did not affect me other than thinking it was a terrible thing to happen and shat a horrible thing for the family members to find out. A day after the incident, I recieved a phone call from a good friend to tell me she had just watched the news and found out about the accident. She sounded very shocked. It was a complete juxtaposition from my calm demeanour on the other end of the line. However, I too found myself in a state of disbelief when she said, "Did you know that was ____'s brother that died?". I could not help but freeze where I was and ask, "Are you sure?". Our friend had just lost his brother. What an aweful realization. My stomach dropped. It was no longer just a story in the news. No longer just a tragic accident that was sad but had no direct affect on me. It was close to home. Even though I had never met the person who died, his brother was someone I knew. How I grieved for his loss. My heart cried. I could not, still cannot, fathom how deep they were hurting at the loss of so close a family member. Grief, I understand. Everyone has encountered grief at some time or another . I have known grief. Yet grief and loss are two things that are intertwined but seperate. I, who have known grief can never know what they have lost. Just as they can never understand what I have lost. Loss is personal. Loss is something that when gone, cannot be filled. Yet, having experienced loss in my own life, it gives me the tiniest glimpse into what my friend and his family are living through at the moment. I pray contiunually that God would bring comfort to them in their time of loss. He is the only one that really, truely, knows. He knows the things we do not even how to describe in words. He knows what we have lost. "...the Lord is a God who knows..." 1 Sam 2:3. He knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment