02 September 2010

day two - a favourite movie.

I have lots of favourite movies. They generally tend to stay within the range of chick flicks, dramas, period dramas (yes, definitely love those), some action and occasionally even a psychological suspense/thriller. So I thought I'd go with something a little bit different, something that surprised me the first time I watched it. And once it had got my attention, it captivated and intrigued me the more times I watched it. It's a little french gem (although, I will warn you, if you are easily offended, you may disagree with my taste. There are a few questionable undercurrents and scenes that don't sit right and I'm the first one to admit that I don't love that). However, I love the movie as a whole. It's complex. It has twists and turns and ups and downs that leave you wondering what just happened and totally in the dark about what's coming next. You never know what's going to happen next. Never. Yet it's not a scary thriller, which I love about it. As much as I love rom-coms, they do leave something to be desired regarding their average, predictable endings. No such thing with this one, and it is...

As adults, best friends Julien and Sophie continue the odd game they started as children -- a fearless competition to outdo one another with daring and outrageous stunts. Part ultra-modern cartoon fairy-tale, part bold psychological probe into the games we play in life and love, the tale starts, as many classic fairytales do, with two unhappy children. Julien is endlessly energetic and precociously brilliant, but unable to bear the heartbreak of his mother's impending death. Sohpie is wildly imaginative, mischievous and determined to be different, yet in search of someone who'll both accept and love her. But the game becomes something far larger and more thrilling than the sad and disappointing world around them. Will it ultimately destroy or save its players?

Loosely translated, the title means 'Children's Games' which I think is more fitting than the official english title 'Love Me if You Dare'. I'm not sure if it's a very widely available movie, but definately worth a watch.


--------

Today:
I've walked the dog to post a letter.
Been window shopping with my mum on her day off .
Went all the way to university only to tell my friend 'I told you so' because there was no class.
Spent the evening watching tv and writing this blog post. Yes, very productive, I know.

To read about my September Challenged, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment