07 January 2011

monsters under my bed

Remember when you were little and it was nighttime and the dark was scary? And you lay in your bed hiding under the covers when you really wanted to run to the safety of your parents but you couldn't because their were monsters under your bed?

And now you're grown up and you know that there aren't really monsters. Your fears were unfounded, imaginary, childish. But why then, do you still know that feeling those monsters evoked when you thought they were hiding under your bed? Because they grew up too. They may look different but they're still there. Now they have names like "Worried for a Job", "Need Money to Pay the Bills", "Can't Do That", "Not Good Enough" and "What Will People Think". Despite the fact that we shouldn't, we live with these monsters. They scare us. So we imagine them away, we run away, we avoid them. We hide.

I've been thinking a lot about fear lately. I know fear well. Fear had me tightly in it's grip once. (You'll find out about that soon.) But I got to thinking how God had set me free from that fear and yet in spite of it, there are still other fears that I hold on to. When I started thinking about all the uncertainties ahead of me this year, I got scared. I'm scared of the unknown, you know. Of the road ahead. I know it's an unfounded fear, but it's there nonetheless.

A few days ago, I read about Ann naming her years. It resonated. I always feel like I have a theme for the year. I've just never named it. So this year, I am. I'm not doing it because it sounds like a good idea (which it is, anyway) but because my year already has a name. And it's just a word. But it's a word that shapes the year and the work God has already started doing in my heart. Coincidentally (not so coincidentally!) I came aross OneWord. Perfect. My year has a name. It's one word.


"Fearless"


At the beginning of the year, I wrote down a short list of goals for myself for the coming year. The very last one was, "Take risks, do things that scares you, live fearless". Little did I know that God had it in mind to grow that little seed into my theme. But there it is: timely and in season. It's the right word. Fear has stopped me doing so many things. This year, I will be Fearless. I will hide in Jesus, not from monsters.



God is a safe place to hide, ready to help when we need him.
We stand fearless at the cliff-edge...
Psalm 46:1
(Message)

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I'm doing the one word challenge but I like the wayt you put it...naming your year. After being diagnosed with MS last summer, I was reminded that my only hope was my Faith:) I have a lot of fear too, but for this year, I really want to make it a happy one. Psalm 46:1 is a perfect verse for your fear and mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It seems that every blog I've read over in the past week has had a post on picking a word to define the new year. It's been really cool to see all the different ones out there! Can't wait to hear more about your journey to fearless. Blessings!

    P.S. I'd love to see your teacup collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, I read your post on happy. I think it's a great word for the year!

    Natalie, I'll see what I can do about those cups;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I just finished reading Ann's book 1000 Gifts! And I love the idea of making this year's theme "Fearless." I could definitely stand to implement more fearlessness into my life. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent way to put it... a themed year... you could be on to something!

    My word: forward

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is beautiful! and with "do things that scare you" as part of your measuring stick for making decisions, this is going to be onehelluva year!

    get it, girl!

    ReplyDelete